Click on this picture to watch my video about How to MAKE A SMART RESOLUTION for REAL CHANGE!
Growing up, I remember how jealous my friends were of me because I got to CELEBRATE TWO NEW YEARS each year! Not only Rosh Hashana but also January 1st.
BUT, I wasn’t so Happy during either of these New Years! In fact I was pretty sad, since I knew that once again – just like everyone else – I was going to make a NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION…that I wasn’t going to keep!!
TODAY, after enjoying a New Design for Living for over a decade, now I actually appreciate both New Years. Why? Because now I make not only a resolution for real teshuva and growth at Rosh Hashana; but I also RENEW MY COMMITMENT to change during the January 1st New Year.
You may be thinking…”sure Duvid Chaim, you can make a resolution to change, but not me! I’ve tried so many times…especially when I hit Rock Bottom…but a week or a month or two later, I’m back to my same ‘ole frustrating behaviors and way of thinking!”
Let me just share with you…IF I CAN CHANGE, ANYBODY CAN CHANGE!!
YOU JUST HAVE TO BE SMART!! Or more precisely, you have to be S.M.A.R.T. !!
With just 5 Basic Steps:
– S pecific – With real concrete, written down GOALS you want to accomplish this New Year.
– M easurable – Now that you have your goals, how are you going to track Success? That’s why your Goals also have to be specific enough to set some “hurdles” that reward you with that sense of progress!
– A ttainable – Not only must we set specific goals and be capable of measuring success, but we have to Arm ourselves with the best TOOLS to get the Job done! This may mean getting support, training, guidance, etc. whatever will help you attain success.
– R ealistic – I’ve always dreamed of being an astronaut and going to the moon…but that’s probably not a very realistic goal for me. This is one of the main reasons people fail in achieving their goals. You know yourself and what you can achieve (of course, this doesn’t give you an excuse to not stretch or push yourself). But you don’t want to set a goal so lofty that you’ll end up being discouraged and abandon your dream.
– T ime-Sensitive – This is probably the most important step for success in making real change – and making it stick! This step simply guides you so whatever Resolution you make, you need to break it down into parts. based on time. So whatever you want to accomplish this year, determine how to get there by setting a plan what to accomplish THIS MONTH…THIS WEEK…AND EVEN TODAY!
SO HAPPY NEW YEARS to all my friends following our posts and ask yourself… ISN’T IT TIME TO BE S.M.A.R.T.?!
PLEASE STAY TUNED TO MORE INSIGHTS AND TIPS IN THIS SERIES ON THE UNMANAGEABILITY OF LIFE!